Usable Buildings website principles
We aim at:
- Users mainly from design practice and education, but also building users, managers and clients, who may be interested in some of the finer details of building performance.
- Fast response both on-screen and in dealing with users.
- Distinctive, simple presentation.
- Commitment to the principles of usability.
- Accessible and useful content, mainly as pdfs.
- Low maintenance, but with regular updates.
- Commitment to the spirit of open access.
- Minimal use of gratuitous material, especially animated graphics, space-fillers and, especially, no advertisements, cookies, log-ins or passwords. We allow the odd indulgence usually to break up text, but nothing that has, for example, speed penalties.
- Some kind of relationship with our users. We like to know who is using the site, and try to develop some kind of dialogue.
- Three clicks will normally take users to significant content
- We use coding and stylesheet resources provided by open-source Tachyons.
- Our thanks to Peter Cook.